Growing Herbs in Michigan: Beginner's Guide to a Simple Herb Garden

My Beginner Herb Garden in Michigan

What I have learned after two seasons of growing basil, thyme, peppermint, chives, parsley, and cilantro in my Michigan Zone 6 garden.

When I started my first herb garden a couple of years ago, I really did not know much about growing herbs. I liked the idea of stepping outside to cut fresh basil or chives, but I was very much learning as I went.

Now, after two seasons of trial and error in my Michigan garden, I have a better feel for which herbs are forgiving, which ones need more attention, and which ones seem determined to humble me.

This post is about the herbs I have actually grown myself. I am not writing this as a gardening expert. I am writing it as someone who is slowly figuring things out, one season at a time.

My beginner herb garden with basil, thyme, peppermint, chives, cilantro, and parsley

Best Herbs for Beginners to Grow

Based on my own experience, some herbs are much easier than others. If you are new to gardening, I would start with herbs that are forgiving and not too dramatic about small mistakes.

Easiest Herbs I Have Grown

  • Peppermint: Very easy to grow, almost too easy. It spreads quickly, so I would not plant it loose in a shared garden bed.
  • Chives: Hardy, useful, and dependable. Mine have been one of the easiest herbs to keep going.
  • Thyme: Low-maintenance once it is settled. It seems happier when I do not fuss over it too much.

Still Pretty Beginner-Friendly

  • Basil: Easy and rewarding, but it does not like cold nights. I wait until the weather is truly warm before trusting it outside.
  • Parsley: Not difficult, but it likes more consistent moisture than thyme or chives.

The One That Keeps Testing Me

  • Cilantro: I have tried it more than once, and it still gives me trouble. It does not seem to appreciate Michigan’s sudden hot spells.

Basic Supplies I Use

You do not need a fancy setup to start a small herb garden. I started simply, and honestly, that made it less intimidating.

  • A raised garden bed or containers: I use a raised bed, but containers are great too, especially if you are just starting out.
  • Good soil: Potting soil works well for containers. For garden beds, soil mixed with compost can help.
  • Starter plants: I still buy herb starter plants from local greenhouses. Seeds feel a little more intimidating to me, although maybe I will try more of them someday.
  • A watering can or hose: Nothing special, just something that makes it easy to water consistently.
  • A separate pot for mint: This is the one supply I would strongly suggest. Mint needs boundaries.

Herbs I Grew This Year

This season, my herb garden included:

Peppermint
English thyme
Chives
Basil
Parsley
Cilantro

I picked up starter plants from local greenhouses again this year. I know growing from seed is something a lot of gardeners enjoy, but I am not quite there yet. Starter plants make the whole thing feel more doable.

I grow most of my herbs in a raised garden bed that I bought a couple of years ago, and I still like using it. It keeps things contained, it looks tidy, and it makes the garden feel easier to manage.

My First Year Herb Garden

My first year, I started smaller with peppermint, chives, thyme, and cilantro.

Everything did fairly well except the cilantro, which died off almost immediately. At the time, I assumed I had done something wrong.

Then I tried cilantro again the next year. After just a few days of extreme heat, it struggled again.

Lesson learned: cilantro is fussy in hot weather. Next time, I may try it earlier in spring, later in summer, or in a slightly shadier spot.

Raised garden bed with growing herbs in a Michigan summer garden

Companion Planting: Which Herbs Grow Well Together

One thing I have learned is that herbs do not all want the same things. Some like drier soil. Some like more moisture. Some love sun. Some would rather not bake all afternoon.

Good Herb Neighbors

  • Basil and parsley: Both like richer soil, steady moisture, and plenty of sun.
  • Thyme and chives: These are hardy, lower-maintenance herbs that do not need as much fussing.
  • Cilantro and parsley: These leafy herbs can handle a little shade and usually do better in cooler weather.

Herbs I Would Keep Apart

  • Mint: Mint spreads fast. I keep peppermint in its own pot because it will absolutely try to take over.
  • Basil and mint: These two do not seem like the best match. Basil likes warmer, sunnier conditions, while mint likes more moisture and can handle a little shade.

If you are just starting out, containers are your friend. They make it easier to move things around, separate herbs with different needs, and keep mint from wandering everywhere.

When to Plant Herbs in Michigan

Michigan weather can be tricky. One week it feels like spring, and the next week you are wondering if you put plants outside too soon.

Spring Planting

  • I usually wait until after Mother’s Day before planting tender herbs outside.
  • Basil especially needs warm nights. I try to wait until nighttime temperatures are staying above 50°F.
  • Hardy herbs like thyme and chives can usually handle cooler weather better.

Late Summer or Fall Planting

  • Cilantro may do better in cooler weather, so late summer or early fall can be worth trying.
  • I would not bother planting basil too late in the season because it likes warmth and does not have much time before cold weather returns.
  • If sudden heat has ruined your cilantro before, you are not alone. I have learned that one the hard way.

Perennial Herbs

Thyme, chives, and some mints can come back year after year in Michigan. That makes them feel extra satisfying to grow.

For more local gardening information, Michigan State University Extension has a helpful article on growing and using herbs.

Common Mistakes I Made as a Beginner

Here are a few things I learned the hard way.

  1. Planting cilantro in summer: It does not love heat. I will try it in cooler weather next time.
  2. Not containing mint: Peppermint is lovely, but it needs its own space.
  3. Overwatering thyme: I was trying to be helpful, but thyme did not need that much attention.
  4. Planting basil too early: Basil is tender, and a cold night can really set it back.
  5. Grouping herbs with different needs: Basil and thyme do not want the same growing conditions, so it helps to group herbs more thoughtfully.

Beginner Herb Garden FAQs

What are the easiest herbs to grow for beginners?
Peppermint, chives, and thyme have been the easiest for me. They are forgiving, useful, and not too demanding.

Should I grow herbs from seeds or starter plants?
I still use starter plants because they feel easier and less intimidating. Local greenhouses are a great place to find them.

Why does my cilantro keep dying?
Cilantro does not like hot weather. In Michigan, I would try it in early spring or late summer, and I would consider giving it a little afternoon shade.

Do herbs need a lot of water?
It depends on the herb. Basil and parsley like more consistent moisture. Thyme prefers things a little drier. Mint likes moisture, but it also likes to spread.

Can I grow herbs in containers?
Yes. Containers are one of the easiest ways to grow herbs, especially if you are new. They also help keep aggressive herbs like mint under control.

Simple Wrap-Up

I am still learning, and that is part of what I enjoy about gardening. Each season teaches me something new, even if the lesson is simply that cilantro and I are not best friends yet.

If you are starting your own herb garden, my advice is to keep it small and forgiving. Start with a few herbs you actually use, choose starter plants if seeds feel intimidating, and do not feel bad if something fails.

  • Start small.
  • Use containers if that feels easier.
  • Keep mint separate.
  • Group herbs with similar needs.
  • Do not give up if one herb struggles.

If you enjoyed this, you might like some of my other gardening posts. You can also read my guide on drying fresh herbs in an air fryer or my post about indoor gardening and herbs.

What are your favorite herbs to grow? I would love to hear from you in the comments.

Sensibly and simply yours,
Kat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Plant Garlic in Michigan: A Beginner's Fall Gardening Guide

How I Compare High-Yield Savings Accounts for Simple, Safe Savings

Drying Fresh Herbs in an Air Fryer Tutorial: How I Preserve My Garden All Winter