Drying Fresh Herbs in an Air Fryer Tutorial: How I Preserve My Garden All Winter

Drying Fresh Herbs in the Air Fryer

A simple way I preserve homegrown herbs from my Michigan garden so I can keep using them after summer is over.

One of the best little joys of gardening is being able to use something you grew yourself.

Last year, I started drying some of my homegrown herbs in my air fryer, and it worked better than I expected. I tried it with chives and thyme first, and I loved how simple it was. This year, I would like to add basil to the mix too.

I am not preserving huge amounts of food or doing anything fancy. I just like finding small ways to make the garden last a little longer. Drying herbs is perfect for that because it does not take much time, and it feels so satisfying to see little jars of homegrown herbs ready for cooking.

Fresh herbs drying in an air fryer for homemade dried herbs

Why I Use an Air Fryer to Dry Herbs

Air fryers are not just for crispy potatoes. If yours has a low temperature setting or a dehydrate setting, it can work really well for drying herbs.

I like this method because it is quick, simple, and does not heat up the whole kitchen the way the oven can. It also feels easier to manage than letting herbs air dry for days, especially when I only have a small amount from my garden.

The main thing is low heat. Herbs are delicate, so you want to dry them gently instead of cooking them.

Best Herbs to Dry in an Air Fryer

These are herbs that can grow well during Michigan’s growing season and are useful to dry for later.

Chives
Thyme
Basil
Oregano
Sage
Mint
Rosemary
Parsley
Dill
Lemon balm

So far, I have dried chives and thyme this way. Basil is next on my list because I always wish summer basil lasted longer.

How to Dry Fresh Herbs in an Air Fryer

This is the simple process I use. Different air fryers can vary, so keep a close eye on your first batch.

  1. Harvest your herbs. Pick healthy leaves or stems. I like to harvest in the morning after the dew has dried.
  2. Wash and dry them well. Rinse gently if needed, then pat dry with a clean towel. Let them air dry for a few extra minutes so they are not wet going into the air fryer.
  3. Remove thick stems. Keep the leaves or smaller tender sprigs. For herbs like chives or basil, cut them into smaller pieces so they dry more evenly.
  4. Set the air fryer low. Use the lowest temperature setting, usually around 100 to 120°F, or use the dehydrate setting if your air fryer has one.
  5. Arrange in a single layer. Place herbs in the basket without overcrowding. Air needs room to move around them.
  6. Check often. Most herbs only take about 5 to 15 minutes, depending on the type, size, and moisture level. Check every few minutes.
  7. Cool before storing. Let the herbs cool completely. Then crumble them and store in airtight jars away from heat and light.

The herbs are done when they feel dry and crumble easily. If they still feel soft or bendy, they probably need a little more time.

How I Store My Dried Herbs

Dried herbs stored in handmade labeled spice jars

I like to keep dried herbs in small jars and label them with my Cricut. It makes them easier to find when I am cooking, and honestly, it makes them feel a little more special.

Homemade dried herbs would also make a sweet little gift, especially if you put them in pretty jars with simple labels.

I wrote more about making labels in my Cricut vinyl pantry labels post.

Air Fryer Herb Drying Tips

  • Dry one herb at a time: This helps keep the flavors and scents separate.
  • Use parchment if needed: Very small herbs can blow around, so parchment can help keep them in place.
  • Do not overcrowd the basket: Herbs dry better when air can circulate.
  • Label and date your jars: It is easy to forget when you dried something.
  • Store away from heat and light: A cool, dry cabinet is better than keeping herbs near the stove.

How Long Do Dried Herbs Last?

Dried herbs are usually best within about 6 months to a year. They may still be safe after that, but the flavor gets weaker over time.

I like to smell them before using them. If they still smell like the herb, they are probably still useful. If they smell like almost nothing, it may be time to replace them.

Home-dried herbs can be a little less intense or sometimes more rustic than store-bought herbs, but I love that they came from my own garden.

Ways to Use Dried Herbs

Dried herbs are such an easy thing to reach for when cooking. I especially like having them ready in colder months when the garden is quiet.

  • Add dried thyme to soups, stews, roasted chicken, or vegetables.
  • Sprinkle dried chives over potatoes, eggs, dips, or casseroles.
  • Use dried basil in pasta sauce, pizza sauce, soups, or marinades.
  • Mix dried herbs into homemade seasoning blends.
  • Add a small jar of dried herbs to a homemade food gift basket.

Simple Wrap-Up

Drying herbs in the air fryer is one of my favorite small ways to stretch the garden season. It is simple, useful, and it makes me feel like I saved a little piece of summer for later.

If you already grow herbs in your garden, on your patio, or even indoors, this is an easy way to preserve them without needing much equipment.

If you enjoyed this, you might like my beginner herb garden post, my indoor gardening and herbs post, or more of my gardening posts.

Do you dry herbs from your garden? I would love to hear which ones are your favorite.

Sensibly and simply yours,
Kat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Plant Garlic in Michigan: A Beginner's Fall Gardening Guide

How I Compare High-Yield Savings Accounts for Simple, Safe Savings