What I Stopped Spending Money On And Why It Changed Everything

Over the years, my relationship with money has shifted in a big way. This was not about extreme frugality or never enjoying life. It was about being intentional. Slowly, I started noticing certain spending habits that were quietly draining my money, time, and peace of mind.

This post is about what I personally stopped spending money on and why those choices have given me more freedom and less stress.



🚫 I Stopped Paying Interest and Normalizing It

One of the biggest mindset shifts I ever made was deciding to stop paying interest.

Years ago, I stopped accepting interest as a normal part of life. Instead of buying first and paying later, I save first and buy later whenever possible. If I do borrow money for a planned purchase, it is only because I am offered zero percent financing and I already know I can pay it off before the promotional period ends.

Interest quietly steals from your future. It reduces your flexibility and limits your options later on. Once I saw interest that way, it became much easier to say no to it.


🛒 I Stopped Buying Mindless and Impulse Purchases

I am much more mindful about what I buy now.

If something catches my eye on Amazon, I might add it to a wish list or even my cart, but I wait at least a day before checking out if it was not planned. Most of the time, I forget about it completely, which tells me I did not really need it.

In stores, I skip last minute add-ons at checkout. If it was not on my list, it does not come home with me. That simple rule has saved me more money than I can count.


📱 I Stopped Upgrading Just Because Something Is New

Just because a new version exists does not mean I need it.

I do not replace my phone simply because a newer model is available. However, when security updates are no longer supported, that is when I upgrade. Security matters, and that is a valid reason to spend.

The same goes for appliances. I do not replace them early, but I do plan ahead. I keep a spreadsheet of major home items like the roof, HVAC system, and water heater, along with appliances like the refrigerator, dishwasher, and stove. I track their expected lifespan so I can prepare financially before something fails.

Planning turns emergencies into manageable expenses.


🛠️ I Stopped Paying for Things I Can Learn to Do Well

If I can learn to do something properly and safely, I usually try.

That includes basic home maintenance and small DIY projects. If I have the skills and the time, I would rather make something myself than buy someone else’s craft.

One of the biggest areas here is cooking. Over the years, I have become a pretty good home chef. Meal delivery kits played a big role in that. Following their recipe cards taught me techniques and flavor combinations that I now use when cooking on my own. Cooking at home instead of relying on takeout has saved money and brought a lot of joy.


⏳ I Stopped Rushing Big Purchases

For non emergency purchases, I give myself time.

I usually wait 24 to 48 hours before making a big purchase. That pause helps me think things through and make better decisions. I also plan purchases around sales and buy seasonally whenever possible.

For example, I bought a snow thrower in early fall because prices go up once snow is in the forecast. That kind of timing makes a real difference.


🎥 I Stopped Feeling Guilty About Convenience Spending

I still pay for subscriptions, grocery delivery, and convenience, and I no longer feel guilty about it.

I enjoy my Netflix subscription, so I keep it. Not everything in life needs to be optimized for savings. When I use grocery delivery during busy weeks, it actually makes financial sense because the time I save can be spent on side hustles that earn more than I would save by shopping in person.

When deciding whether to pay for a service, I think about the value of my time. Sometimes doing it myself makes sense. Other times, paying someone else is the smarter choice.


📝 Simple Wrap Up

What I stopped spending money on is just as important as what I still choose to spend on. These decisions were not about deprivation. They were about intention, planning, and respect for my future self.

Small changes made consistently have created more freedom, less stress, and a life that feels simpler and more aligned with my values.

👉 Looking for more simple ways to save?
Explore my other money-saving posts.

What have you stopped spending money? I’d love to hear about it in the comments.

Sensibly and simply yours,
Kat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Plant Garlic in Michigan: A Beginner's Fall Gardening Guide

How I Compare High-Yield Savings Accounts for Simple, Safe Savings

Easy and Cozy Wonton Soup Recipe