Best Meal Kits: I've Tried 7 Services (Honest Reviews & Comparison)

Are Meal Kit Delivery Services Worth It?

My honest thoughts after trying several meal kit services, receiving more than 173 boxes, and cooking a lot of weeknight dinners at home.

Meal kits have become one of those things that genuinely make my life easier.

I know they are not the cheapest way to cook dinner. Grocery shopping and meal planning on your own can absolutely cost less. But for my life right now, meal kits help with something I struggle with more than I like to admit: deciding what to make for dinner after a full day.

After trying 7 different meal kit services and receiving more than 173 boxes, I have a pretty good idea of what I like, what I do not like, and which services I would actually use again.

I currently get about four meals a week, usually split between two different services. I like having the boxes arrive on different days because it gives us variety without overloading the fridge all at once.

This is not sponsored. These are my honest thoughts based on my own experience.

Meal kit delivery box with fresh ingredients and recipe cards on a kitchen counter

What Are Meal Kit Delivery Services?

Meal kit delivery services send ingredients and recipes to your door, usually once a week. You pick the meals, they send the food, and you cook the recipes at home.

Most boxes come with pre-portioned ingredients, recipe cards, sauces, spices, and the main items you need for each meal. You usually still need basics like oil, butter, salt, pepper, and sometimes eggs or milk.

How Meal Kits Usually Work

  1. You choose a plan based on how many meals and servings you want.
  2. You pick recipes from the weekly menu.
  3. The box arrives with the ingredients and recipe cards.
  4. You cook the meals at home.
  5. You can usually skip weeks, pause, or cancel.

For me, the biggest benefit is not just the food. It is the relief of knowing dinner is already planned.

Why I Like Meal Kits

Meal kits are not perfect, but they have helped our weeknights feel smoother.

  • Less meal planning: I do not have to sit there trying to come up with dinner ideas from scratch.
  • Fewer last-minute store runs: Most of what I need is already in the box.
  • Better cooking skills: I have learned little techniques from recipe cards that I probably would not have tried on my own.
  • Less food waste: The portions are planned, so I am not buying a full bunch of something just to use a tablespoon.
  • More variety: We eat meals I probably would not have thought to make myself.

I still cook regular meals and still grocery shop, but meal kits give me a nice break from doing all the thinking.

Meal Kit Services I Have Tried

Here is my honest comparison of the meal kit services I have personally tried. Some I liked a lot. Some were fine. Some I would not rush to order again.

Service What I Liked What I Did Not Love
HelloFresh My personal favorite. Good variety, clear recipes, colorful ingredients, easy customization, and helpful customer service when something is missing or damaged. Packaging waste adds up. Some meals repeat after a while. Occasionally an ingredient is not as fresh as I would like.
Blue Apron My second favorite. The meals feel a little more restaurant-style, and I have learned some helpful cooking techniques from them. Some meals take more effort. I have had occasional freshness issues. It can feel a little less convenient on a busy night.
Hungryroot Good for quick meals, grocery-style items, snacks, and mixing things together without much cooking. It does not feel as much like cooking to me. The meals are easy, but not always as exciting.
Home Chef Simple meals, easy instructions, and some quick or oven-ready options. Nice when I want something more basic. I do not enjoy it as much overall. Some meals feel a little plain compared with HelloFresh or Blue Apron.
Marley Spoon Pretty meals, interesting ingredients, and a more elevated feel. I just did not enjoy it as much. Some meals felt more complicated than they were worth for a regular weeknight.
Factor Fully prepared meals that you just heat and eat. Very convenient for busy days or when you do not want to cook. It is not really a cooking experience. Portions can feel smaller, and it is not the same as making dinner from scratch.
Green Chef Flavorful meals, organic-focused ingredients, and good options for certain dietary preferences. More expensive. Some meals take longer, and the style may not be for everyone.

On smaller screens, this table may scroll sideways. That keeps the words readable instead of squeezing them into skinny columns.

How I Would Choose a Meal Kit

I do not think there is one perfect meal kit for everyone. It depends on your budget, how much you like cooking, and what kind of food you actually want to eat.

If you are new to meal kits:
I would start with HelloFresh because the recipes are easy to follow and there is a lot of variety.
If you like more interesting meals:
Blue Apron may be a better fit because the meals often feel a little more special.
If you want very quick meals:
Hungryroot or Factor may be worth trying.
If you want healthier or diet-focused meals:
Green Chef or Factor may fit better depending on your preferences.

My simple recommendation is to try one service with a discount, use it for a couple of weeks, and see if it actually makes your life easier.

Are Meal Kits Worth It?

For me, yes. Meal kits are worth it because they reduce decision fatigue and help us eat at home more often.

They are not the cheapest option. I know I could grocery shop for less. But when I compare them to takeout, last-minute convenience food, or buying groceries without a plan, they make sense for our lifestyle.

Meal Kits May Be Worth It If You:

  • Hate meal planning.
  • Want to cook at home more often.
  • Need dinner to feel a little easier.
  • Want to learn new cooking skills.
  • Waste food when you buy full-size ingredients.
  • Have room in your budget for convenience.

Meal Kits May Not Be Worth It If You:

  • Are on a very tight grocery budget.
  • Already love meal planning and shopping.
  • Have very specific dietary needs.
  • Have picky eaters who will not try much.
  • Do not enjoy cooking at all.

My honest take: meal kits are a convenience, not a necessity. But for a busy season of life, that convenience can be very helpful.

My Tips After 173 Boxes

After ordering a lot of meal kits, these are the little habits that make the experience better.

  1. Pick a good delivery day. Choose a day when you can bring the box inside fairly quickly.
  2. Cook seafood first. I try to make fish or seafood meals earlier in the week.
  3. Read the recipe card before starting. It saves time and helps avoid little mistakes.
  4. Do not be afraid to change things. I skip ingredients we do not like or add extras from the pantry.
  5. Save favorite recipe cards. Some meals are worth making again with grocery store ingredients.
  6. Use discounts when trying a new service. I would not pay full price just to experiment with a service I may not like.
  7. Skip weeks when life is too busy. Boxes are helpful until they become one more thing to deal with.
  8. Rotate services if you get bored. I like switching between HelloFresh and Blue Apron to keep meals interesting.

Meal Kit FAQs

Which meal kit is the cheapest?
EveryPlate is usually one of the most budget-friendly options. Of the services I have personally used more, HelloFresh and Home Chef tend to feel more mid-range.

Can I skip weeks or cancel?
Yes, the major meal kit services I have used allow you to skip weeks or cancel. I skip weeks when we are busy, traveling, or just need a break.

How long do the ingredients stay fresh?
Most ingredients are best within a few days. I usually cook seafood or delicate meals first and save heartier meals for later in the week.

Do I need to be home for delivery?
Not usually. Boxes are packed with insulation and ice packs, but I still try to bring them inside as soon as I reasonably can.

How long do the meals take to cook?
Most of the meals I make take around 30 to 45 minutes. Some quick meals take less time, and prepared meals like Factor mostly just need heating.

What if something is missing or damaged?
In my experience, customer service has usually been good about credits when an ingredient is missing, damaged, or not fresh.

Meal Kit Referral Links and Discounts

If you want to try a meal kit, these are referral links for services I have personally used. Offers can change, so always check the final price and terms before signing up.

Disclosure: Some of the links above are referral or affiliate links. If you use them, I may receive a small credit or commission at no extra cost to you. I only include services I have personally tried.

Simple Wrap-Up

If you have ever felt tired of meal planning, grocery shopping, or trying to figure out dinner at the last minute, meal kits can be a really helpful option.

For me, the biggest benefit is having a plan. I like opening the fridge and knowing there are actual meals waiting to be made, not just random ingredients that may or may not turn into dinner.

HelloFresh is still my favorite overall, and Blue Apron is my second favorite when I want something a little more special. The others may be better depending on your lifestyle, budget, and how much cooking you want to do.

Looking for more honest reviews? You can read more of my product reviews here.

Do you use any meal kit services? I would love to hear what has worked, or not worked, for you.

Sensibly and simply yours,
Kat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Plant Garlic in Michigan: A Beginner's Fall Gardening Guide

How I Compare High-Yield Savings Accounts for Simple, Safe Savings

Drying Fresh Herbs in an Air Fryer Tutorial: How I Preserve My Garden All Winter