What Are REITs and Should You Invest in Them? Beginner's Guide

What Are REITs and Should You Invest in Them?

A simple, beginner-friendly look at real estate investment trusts, how they work, and why they may interest people who want real estate exposure without becoming landlords.

Investing can feel overwhelming at first, especially when every option seems to come with its own vocabulary.

One investment I kept seeing mentioned was a REIT, which stands for real estate investment trust. At first, it sounded more complicated than it really is. Once I understood the basic idea, it made more sense.

A REIT is one way to invest in real estate without buying a rental property, managing tenants, fixing toilets, or trying to become a landlord. That is the part that caught my attention.

This post is not personal financial advice. I am simply sharing a plain-English overview of what REITs are, what I would look at, and why they may or may not fit into a sensible long-term investing plan.

Simple real estate investing concept with REITs and passive income

What Is a REIT?

A REIT is a company that owns or finances income-producing real estate. That real estate might include apartment buildings, shopping centers, office buildings, warehouses, medical buildings, hotels, data centers, or other properties.

Instead of buying a property yourself, you can buy shares of a REIT. In a very simple sense, you are investing in a company that owns real estate and earns income from it.

Many REITs pay dividends, which is one reason some investors like them. REITs are generally required to distribute at least 90 percent of taxable income to shareholders, which can make them appealing for people interested in investment income.

I think of REITs as a way to get some real estate exposure without personally owning a rental property.

How REITs Make Money

Most REITs make money through rent, leases, property income, or real estate financing. The details depend on the type of REIT.

  • Equity REITs: Own properties and collect rent from tenants.
  • Mortgage REITs: Invest in mortgages or mortgage-backed investments.
  • Hybrid REITs: Use a mix of both approaches.
  • REIT ETFs or mutual funds: Let you invest in a basket of REITs instead of choosing just one.

For a beginner, a REIT fund may feel less intimidating than trying to pick one individual REIT. I usually like simple and diversified when I am learning about an investment category.

Pros and Cons of Investing in REITs

Like anything investment-related, REITs have both benefits and drawbacks. They are not automatically good or bad. They just need to fit your goals, risk tolerance, and overall plan.

Potential Pros Potential Cons
Gives you exposure to real estate without owning property directly. REIT dividends may be taxed differently than qualified stock dividends.
Some REITs offer regular dividend income. REITs can be affected by interest rates and real estate market conditions.
Publicly traded REITs can be bought and sold through brokerage accounts. Share prices can still move up and down like other investments.
REIT funds can add diversification to a portfolio. Not all REITs are equally diversified or equally strong.
They can be easier than managing a rental property yourself. Private or non-traded REITs may be harder to sell and may have higher fees.

The word “real estate” can make an investment sound stable, but REITs can still lose value. I would not think of them as risk-free.

Where Can You Invest in REITs?

You can usually invest in publicly traded REITs or REIT funds through common brokerage platforms. You do not necessarily need a special account just for REITs.

I would think of this table as a starting point, not a recommendation. Fees, minimums, and available investments can change, so always check the platform’s current details before opening an account or making an investment.

Platform Type Examples What to Check
Traditional brokerages Fidelity, Vanguard, Charles Schwab, and similar platforms REIT stocks, REIT ETFs, mutual funds, account fees, fund expense ratios, and research tools.
Investing apps Public, Robinhood, SoFi, and similar apps Available REITs or ETFs, account features, trade execution, education tools, and how easy it is to understand what you are buying.
Private real estate platforms Fundrise and similar real estate platforms Liquidity, fees, redemption rules, risk level, minimum investment, and whether the investment is publicly traded or private.

My personal preference is to understand how easy it is to get my money back out before I put money in. Liquidity matters.

Who Might Like REITs?

REITs may appeal to people who want to invest in real estate but do not want the responsibility of owning property directly.

You may like REITs if:
You want real estate exposure without being a landlord.
You may like REITs if:
You are interested in dividend income.
You may like REITs if:
You want a more diversified way to invest in real estate.
You may like REITs if:
You are investing for the long term and understand there is risk.

Who Might Want to Be Careful?

REITs are not the right fit for every situation.

  • If you need the money soon: Investments can go down, and some REITs may be hard to sell quickly.
  • If you want no risk: A high-yield savings account may be a better place for emergency savings or short-term goals.
  • If you do not understand the fees: Some real estate products can have higher costs or confusing rules.
  • If you are chasing yield: A high dividend does not automatically mean an investment is safe or better.

I would never use REITs as a replacement for an emergency fund. To me, they belong in the investment conversation, not the “money I might need next month” conversation.

REITs Compared to Other Simple Money Options

I find it helpful to compare money tools by what job they are supposed to do.

Option Best For Main Risk
High-yield savings account Emergency funds and short-term goals Rates can change, and returns may not keep up with inflation.
REITs Long-term real estate exposure and possible dividend income Market risk, real estate risk, interest rate sensitivity, and fees.
Index funds Broad long-term investing Stock market ups and downs.
Rental property Direct real estate ownership Tenant issues, repairs, vacancies, financing, and concentration risk.

This is why I think it helps to be honest about the purpose of the money first. Short-term savings and long-term investing are not the same thing.

Questions I Would Ask Before Investing in a REIT

Before buying any REIT or REIT fund, these are the kinds of questions I would want to understand.

  • Is this a publicly traded REIT, a REIT ETF, a mutual fund, or a private REIT?
  • What type of real estate does it invest in?
  • How diversified is it?
  • What fees or expense ratios apply?
  • How easy is it to sell if I need to?
  • How are dividends taxed?
  • Does this fit my long-term plan, or am I just chasing income?

Simple Wrap-Up

REITs can be an interesting way to invest in real estate without buying and managing property yourself. I can see why people like them. They are simpler than owning a rental, they can provide dividend income, and they give everyday investors access to real estate categories that would be hard to buy on their own.

At the same time, they are still investments. They can lose value, they can be affected by interest rates and the real estate market, and some versions are more complicated than others.

For me, the sensible approach is to understand what I am buying, keep my emergency savings separate, avoid chasing high dividends blindly, and think long term.

Looking for more simple money ideas? You may also like my post on high-yield savings accounts, or you can browse more of my money posts, savings posts, and passive income ideas.

Have you ever invested in REITs, or are you still learning about them? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Sensibly and simply yours,
Kat

Enjoyed this post? Subscribe here to get weekly updates straight to your inbox.

Comments