Polish Cucumber Salad Recipe (Mizeria) | Easy Creamy Dill Side Dish

Polish Cucumber Salad Recipe

A cool, creamy, simple cucumber salad with sour cream and fresh dill, inspired by the Mizeria my mom used to make.

This Polish cucumber salad, called Mizeria in Poland, is one of those simple recipes that always feels like home to me.

My mom used to make a version of this with thin cucumbers, sour cream, dill, and just enough tang to make it refreshing. It is cool, creamy, and easy to put together, which makes it especially nice on a warm day or next to something hearty for dinner.

I like recipes like this because they are not fussy. They do not need a long list of ingredients or anything fancy. Just a few simple things mixed together in a way that tastes comforting and familiar.

Bowl of Polish cucumber salad Mizeria with sour cream and fresh dill

What Is Mizeria?

Mizeria is a traditional Polish cucumber salad made with thinly sliced cucumbers, sour cream, fresh dill, and a little seasoning. It is usually served cold and works well as a side dish for grilled meats, pork chops, pierogi, roast chicken, casseroles, or a simple summer meal.

The texture is part of what makes it so good. The cucumbers soften slightly after salting, but they still keep enough freshness to make the salad feel light and crisp.

Recipe Info

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Chill Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6 people
Difficulty: Easy
Best Served: Cold

Ingredients

These are the simple ingredients I use for this creamy Polish cucumber salad.

  • About 1 pound of small cucumbers, peeled and sliced very thin
  • A sprinkle of salt to help draw out the water
  • A generous handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons of sour cream
  • About 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
  • A small pinch of white sugar, adjusted to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper

I usually like thin-skinned cucumbers for this because they feel a little more delicate. English cucumbers or Persian cucumbers both work nicely.

How to Make Mizeria

  1. Prep the cucumbers. Place the thinly sliced cucumbers in a colander and sprinkle them lightly with salt. Let them sit for about 5 to 10 minutes so some of the extra water can come out.
  2. Remove extra liquid. Gently press the cucumbers with clean hands or a clean kitchen towel. You do not have to squeeze them completely dry, but removing some water helps the dressing stay creamy.
  3. Mix the dressing. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, lemon juice, sugar, and black pepper.
  4. Add the dill. Place the cucumbers in a bowl and toss them with the chopped dill.
  5. Combine everything. Pour the sour cream dressing over the cucumbers and stir gently until everything is coated.
  6. Chill before serving. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This gives the flavors time to settle together.
Step by step instructions for making traditional Mizeria cucumber salad

A Little Note About the Name

The name Mizeria sounds a little sad because it is often translated as “misery,” but the salad itself is not gloomy at all.

I have seen a few different stories about where the name came from. Some say it was connected to simple peasant food. Others connect it to Queen Bona Sforza of Poland and the homesickness she felt for Italy. I cannot say which story is the true one, but I do know this salad has lasted for a reason.

It is humble, simple, and still very loved in many Polish homes.

My Tips for the Best Mizeria

  • Use English cucumbers or Persian cucumbers if you want thinner skins and fewer seeds.
  • Slice the cucumbers as thinly as you can. A mandoline works well, but a sharp knife is fine too.
  • Do not skip salting the cucumbers. It helps keep the salad from turning watery too quickly.
  • Fresh dill really does make a difference. This is one of those recipes where the dill is not just a garnish.
  • You can use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream if you want a tangier version.
  • Taste before serving. Sometimes a tiny bit more lemon, sugar, salt, or pepper is all it needs.

Love This Recipe?

Here is a free printable recipe card you can save or print for later.

Polish Cucumber Salad Mizeria Recipe Card

Looking for more simple recipes? You can find more of my recipe posts here.

Common Questions

How long does Mizeria keep?
It is best enjoyed fresh, but you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. The cucumbers may release more water as they sit, so give it a gentle stir before serving.

Can I freeze Mizeria?
No. Cucumber salads do not freeze well because the cucumbers become mushy after thawing.

Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes, but I would not make it too far ahead. A few hours in the fridge is fine. If you are making it for guests, I think it tastes best the same day.

What should I serve with it?
I like it with pierogi, pork chops, roast chicken, grilled meat, or any meal that needs something cool and creamy on the side.

Simple Wrap-Up

Mizeria is one of those recipes that reminds me simple food can still feel special. It is just cucumbers, sour cream, dill, and a few little seasonings, but somehow it turns into something cool, creamy, and comforting.

I think that is why I like it so much. It is easy, familiar, and tied to good memories. Sometimes those are the recipes that mean the most.

For another family recipe, you might like my Cherry Cloud Delight. For a simple summer meal idea, you can also check out my Maple-Glazed Salmon.

Have you tried Mizeria before? I would love to hear how your family makes it.

Sensibly and simply yours,
Kat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Plant Garlic in Michigan: A Beginner's Fall Gardening Guide

How I Compare High-Yield Savings Accounts for Simple, Safe Savings

Drying Fresh Herbs in an Air Fryer Tutorial: How I Preserve My Garden All Winter