Best Receipt Apps: Fetch vs Ibotta Review (I've Earned $890!)

Receipt Scanning Apps I Actually Use

My honest thoughts on Fetch and Ibotta after using receipt apps for years and earning cash back from regular grocery shopping.

Receipt scanning apps are one of those small money habits that do not feel like much in the moment, but they can add up over time.

I have used receipt apps for more than 10 years, and between Fetch and Ibotta, I have earned about $890 in cash back and gift cards. That is not life-changing money, but it is still real money from receipts I was already getting anyway.

I like simple savings ideas. I am not interested in spending hours clipping coupons or buying things I do not need just to get a deal. But taking a picture of a receipt after grocery shopping? That is easy enough for me to keep doing.

Today I am sharing the two receipt apps I personally use most: Fetch and Ibotta.

Receipt scanning apps Fetch and Ibotta on a smartphone screen showing cash back rewards

Fetch Review: The Easiest Receipt App I Use

Fetch is the easiest receipt app I have used because it does not require much planning.

I do not have to activate offers, search through a long list, or remember which products match which deal. I just scan the receipt, and Fetch gives me points. Sometimes it is only a small amount, but sometimes I get bonus points for brands I already bought.

  • No planning needed: I can shop normally and scan the receipt when I get home.
  • Works with everyday brands: I often see bonus points for brands I already buy.
  • Gift card rewards: Points can be redeemed for gift cards to places like Target, Amazon, Starbucks, and more.

I have been using Fetch for about three years and have redeemed around $230 in gift cards. Again, not huge money, but it is nice to have a little extra for holidays, gifts, or small treats.

Ibotta Review: Better Cash Back, But More Planning

Ibotta takes a little more effort than Fetch, but it can also pay more.

With Ibotta, I usually check the app before I shop. I activate offers that match what I already plan to buy, then scan my receipt after shopping. Sometimes I also have to scan the product barcode.

It is not hard, but it does require remembering to look before you shop. That is the part I sometimes forget.

  • Activate offers before shopping: I usually check for offers before going to Meijer or Kroger.
  • Scan after shopping: Once I am home, I upload the receipt and scan any required barcodes.
  • Earn actual cash back: Once the balance reaches the payout amount, I can transfer it or choose a gift card.

I have used Ibotta for about 12 years and have received around $660 in cash back. I like it most for groceries, cleaning products, and the occasional offer on items I was already going to buy.

My rule with Ibotta is simple: I only use offers for things I already need or truly want. Buying extra just to earn cash back usually defeats the purpose.

Can You Use Fetch and Ibotta Together?

Yes, and that is one of the reasons I like using both.

I scan the same grocery receipt in Fetch and Ibotta. Fetch gives me easy points, and Ibotta gives me cash back if I activated any matching offers.

  1. I do my regular shopping. I do not make a special trip just for app rewards.
  2. I scan the receipt with Fetch. This takes just a few seconds.
  3. I scan the same receipt with Ibotta. If I selected offers ahead of time, the cash back usually shows up after verification.

This is the kind of savings habit I can actually stick with because it fits into something I am already doing.

Receipt Scanning Apps Comparison

Fetch and Ibotta are the two I use most, but there are other receipt apps out there too.

App How It Works Rewards Best For
Fetch Snap receipts to earn points. No need to activate offers first. Gift cards to popular retailers Easy everyday rewards
Ibotta Activate offers before shopping, then scan your receipt and sometimes product barcodes. Cash back or gift cards Grocery savings
Receipt Hog Upload receipts to earn coins or sweepstakes entries. Cash or gift cards Low-effort receipt uploads
Shopkick Earn rewards for store visits, scanning products, and uploading receipts. Gift cards In-store shoppers
CoinOut Snap receipts for small cash rewards. Cash or gift cards Simple receipt scanning

On smaller screens, this table may scroll sideways so the words stay readable.

Are Receipt Apps Actually Worth It?

For me, yes, but only because I keep it simple.

I do not treat receipt apps like a full-time savings strategy. I treat them like a small bonus for shopping I was already going to do anyway.

Fetch:
About 30 seconds per receipt
Ibotta:
A few minutes before and after shopping
My annual average:
About $130 per year between both apps
Best use:
Regular grocery shopping

Worth It If You:

  • Grocery shop regularly.
  • Want easy savings without traditional couponing.
  • Already keep your receipts nearby.
  • Will only use offers for things you actually need.

Probably Not Worth It If You:

  • Rarely shop.
  • Do not like using apps.
  • Forget to scan receipts before they expire.
  • Find yourself buying unnecessary items just for rewards.

My honest take: Fetch is worth it for almost anyone who shops regularly because it is so quick. Ibotta is worth it if you are willing to check offers before shopping.

Receipt App FAQs

Are receipt scanning apps safe?
I have personally used Fetch and Ibotta for years without issues. I still recommend reading each app’s privacy policy so you understand how your receipt information may be used.

Can I use multiple receipt apps on the same receipt?
Yes. I use Fetch and Ibotta on the same grocery receipt.

How long does it take to earn rewards?
Fetch usually gives points quickly after scanning. Ibotta cash back usually posts after the receipt and offers are verified.

What stores work with these apps?
In my experience, they work with many common stores, including grocery stores, big box stores, drugstores, and some other retailers.

Is it really worth the effort?
For Fetch, yes, because it takes very little effort. For Ibotta, it depends on whether you are willing to activate offers before shopping.

What happens if my receipt does not scan?
Most apps have a way to correct receipt details or contact support. I try to scan receipts soon after shopping so they are still easy to read.

Do receipts expire?
Yes. Most apps require receipts to be submitted within a certain number of days, so it is better to upload them soon after shopping.

Can I earn from non-grocery receipts?
Fetch accepts many types of receipts. Ibotta is more focused on grocery and select retailer offers.

Simple Wrap-Up

Receipt apps are not going to replace a real budget or major savings plan, but they are an easy little tool I like having.

Fetch is my favorite for easy, no-planning points. Ibotta takes more effort, but it can be worth it when the offers match what I am already buying.

If you are looking for a simple way to stretch your budget without doing anything too complicated, receipt scanning apps may be worth trying.

Looking for more simple money ideas? You can browse my savings posts, my money posts, or my passive income posts.

Do you have a favorite money-saving app? I would love to hear what has actually worked for you.

Sensibly and simply yours,
Kat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Plant Garlic in Michigan: A Beginner's Fall Gardening Guide

How I Compare High-Yield Savings Accounts for Simple, Safe Savings

Drying Fresh Herbs in an Air Fryer Tutorial: How I Preserve My Garden All Winter