Cricut Beginner's Guide: My First Year with the Cricut Maker 3

My Cricut Maker 3 as a Beginner

What I have made so far, what helped me learn, and what I wish I had known before buying a Cricut.

Last year, I bought a Cricut Maker 3 as a complete beginner. I had never used a cutting machine before, and I honestly did not know how much I would use it.

I liked the idea of making labels, ornaments, cards, and small handmade gifts, but getting started felt a little intimidating. There were tools, mats, vinyl, settings, blades, and then Design Space, which is its own little learning curve.

Now that I have used it for a while, I can say I am glad I bought it. I am still learning, and I still make mistakes, but it has become a fun creative hobby for me. This post is not meant to pressure anyone into buying a Cricut. It is just my honest experience as a beginner who is figuring it out one project at a time.

Cricut Maker 3 cutting machine with vinyl projects and crafting supplies

What Is a Cricut Machine?

A Cricut is a smart cutting machine. The simplest way I can explain it is this: it is a little like a printer, except instead of printing ink onto paper, it cuts designs out of materials like vinyl, cardstock, iron-on, sticker paper, and more.

You create or choose a design in Cricut Design Space, then send it to the machine to cut. After that, you use the cut material to make whatever project you had in mind.

Cricut machines are often used for:

  • Custom decals and stickers
  • Pantry labels and spice jar labels
  • Greeting cards and gift tags
  • Christmas ornaments
  • Personalized gifts
  • Home decor
  • T-shirts, tote bags, and iron-on projects

You do not need to be an expert crafter to start. You do need patience, though. At least I did.

What I Have Made So Far

I started with small projects because that felt less overwhelming. I did not want my first project to be something complicated with several materials and a dozen steps.

  • Vinyl projects: I have made custom Christmas ornaments with vinyl names and designs. I also used adhesive vinyl to label spice jars and pantry containers.
  • Paper crafts: I have made personalized greeting cards for birthdays and holidays. I have also made gift tags, which are simple but still feel sweet and personal.
  • Small personalized gifts: These are probably my favorite kinds of projects because they do not have to be perfect to feel thoughtful.

I am still experimenting with materials and ideas. Every time I sit down with the machine, I learn something new, even if the lesson is what not to do next time.

How I Learned Cricut as a Beginner

There is definitely a learning curve. Cricut Design Space is not impossible, but it can feel confusing when you first open it and do not know what any of the buttons mean.

What helped me most was watching beginner tutorials and starting with simple projects. I also had to remind myself that it was okay if the first few things were not perfect.

Helpful Cricut Resources

My advice is to watch one or two tutorials, pick a very simple project, and then actually try it. Watching tutorials helps, but making something is when it starts to click.

Which Cricut Machine Should a Beginner Choose?

Before buying my Maker 3, I spent a lot of time comparing machines. At the time, the Maker 4 was not available yet, so my choice came down to the models that were out then.

Cricut has newer models now, so I would think of this table as a simple overview rather than a perfect shopping list. Prices and bundles change often, so it is always worth checking current details before buying.

Machine General Use Best For My Beginner Thoughts
Cricut Joy or Joy 2 Small labels, cards, vinyl, quick projects Small spaces and simple everyday crafts A good choice if you only want to make small things and do not want a larger machine.
Cricut Joy Xtra Stickers, labels, cards, small vinyl projects Someone who wants more room than the Joy but still wants a compact machine This seems like a nice middle ground for smaller projects.
Cricut Explore 3, Explore 4, or Explore 5 Vinyl, iron-on, cardstock, everyday crafts Most beginner and hobby projects Honestly, this is probably enough for many people who mainly want labels, cards, decals, and iron-on projects.
Cricut Maker 3 Vinyl, cardstock, fabric, leather, chipboard, and more Crafters who want more material options This is the one I bought. I liked knowing I could grow into it.
Cricut Maker 4 Works with 300+ materials and Smart Materials People who want Cricut’s newer, more powerful Maker option I do not feel a need to replace my Maker 3 right now, but I can see why someone buying new might compare it.

If I were buying today, I would still ask myself what I actually want to make. If it is mostly labels, cards, and vinyl, I might not need the most expensive machine. If I wanted to try lots of materials over time, I would look more closely at the Maker line.

Basic Cricut Supplies for Beginners

One thing I learned quickly is that the machine is only part of the cost. Supplies can add up, so I would not buy everything at once.

What I Would Start With

  • A cutting mat
  • A weeding tool
  • A scraper tool
  • One or two colors of vinyl
  • Transfer tape for applying vinyl
  • A simple beginner project in mind before shopping

Nice to Have Later

  • Extra cutting mats
  • More vinyl colors
  • Cardstock for paper crafts
  • Iron-on vinyl for fabric projects
  • A brayer tool for smoothing materials onto the mat

My tip is to start with one kind of project. I began with vinyl, and that helped me avoid buying a pile of supplies I did not know how to use yet.

Beginner Cricut Project Ideas

If you are not sure what to make first, I would choose something small and useful. A simple label or card is much less stressful than a big multi-layer project.

Vinyl Crafts

Paper Crafts

Iron-On Projects

  • Custom T-shirts
  • Tote bags
  • Baby onesies
  • Seasonal pillows

Other Creative Projects

  • Engraved metal bookmarks with a Maker machine
  • Leather earrings or keychains
  • Felt crafts
  • Wooden signs or ornaments

Common Cricut Mistakes I Made

I made plenty of mistakes at first. Some were small, and some made me want to walk away from the project for a while.

  1. Not cleaning my mat: A dirty mat does not hold material well. I learned to clean mine gently so it lasts longer.
  2. Using the wrong material setting: Design Space settings matter more than I expected.
  3. Trying something too complicated too soon: Simple projects build confidence.
  4. Skipping test cuts: A tiny test cut can save a whole sheet of material.
  5. Giving up too quickly: My first few projects were not perfect, but they still helped me learn.

Is a Cricut Worth It for Beginners?

For me, yes. I am glad I bought mine. But I also think it depends on your personality, your budget, and whether you will actually enjoy learning it.

What I Like About It

  • It gives me a creative hobby that feels useful.
  • I can make personalized gifts and home projects.
  • There are so many tutorials available.
  • Small projects can feel relaxing once you know the basics.
  • It makes ordinary things feel a little more special.

What I Would Be Honest About

  • Design Space takes time to learn.
  • Materials can get expensive if you buy too much at once.
  • You need space to store the machine and supplies.
  • Some projects are frustrating before they become fun.

My honest opinion is this: a Cricut is worth it if you enjoy making things and will give yourself time to learn. If you are not sure, I would start with a smaller or less expensive model before jumping into the biggest machine.

Cricut Beginner FAQs

Do I need a computer to use a Cricut?
No. You can use Cricut Design Space on a computer, tablet, or phone. I prefer using my laptop, especially when I am still figuring something out.

What materials do I need to start?
I would start with the machine, a mat, a weeding tool, a scraper, vinyl, and transfer tape. You can add more supplies once you know what you like making.

Can I use free designs?
Yes. There are free designs in Design Space, and you can also upload designs. I use a mix of free designs and designs I already have.

How hard is Design Space to learn?
It is not impossible, but there is a learning curve. I would start with ready-made designs before trying to create something complicated from scratch.

Do I need Cricut Access?
No, you do not need Cricut Access to use the machine. It gives you more images, fonts, and features, but it is optional.

Am I replacing my Maker 3 with a newer model?
No. I am happy with my Maker 3. It does what I need right now, and I do not feel like I need to upgrade just because a newer machine exists.

Simple Wrap-Up

Buying the Cricut Maker 3 added a creative spark to my life. I am still learning, and I still have moments where a project does not go the way I pictured it, but I have had a lot of fun with it.

The biggest thing I have learned is that you do not need to know everything before you start. Pick one small project, gather only the supplies you need for that project, and give yourself permission to be a beginner.

If you are thinking about getting a Cricut, I hope this gives you a more realistic idea of what it is like. It can be fun, useful, and creative, but it is also something you learn slowly.

If you enjoyed this post, you might also like browsing my craft posts or my Cricut posts. You can also check out my Christmas ornament tutorial or my pantry label project for simple Cricut ideas.

Have you tried Cricut projects of your own? I would love to hear what you have made.

Sensibly and simply yours,
Kat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Plant Garlic in Michigan: A Beginner's Fall Gardening Guide

How I Compare High-Yield Savings Accounts for Simple, Safe Savings

Drying Fresh Herbs in an Air Fryer Tutorial: How I Preserve My Garden All Winter